Re: gud : Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt (got pre-emacs)

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gud : Phase error in gdb-pre-prompt (got pre-emacs)
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:18:11 +1200

 > I'm not lucky with my switch from emacs21 to GNU Emacs 22.2.1
 > (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.8.20): first emacs still hangs on
 > (next-buffer) (see earlier posting...), now gud is not working.
 >
 > What I did:
 >
 > >M-x gdb
 > >gdb --annotate=3 binary.bin
 >
 > gdb loads the binary, I get the gdb prompt. Then:
 >
 > Current directory is somewhere.
 > GNU gdb 6.6
 > Copyright (C) 2006 Free Software Foundation, Inc. [...]
 > This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu"... Using host libthread_db
 > library "/lib/tls/i686/cmov/libthread_db.so.1".
 > (gdb) run
 >   C-c C-c  C-c C-c  C-c C-c
 >
 >   C-c C-c
 >   C-c C-c  C-c C-c

What does it say within the square brackets in the mode-line of the GUD
buffer _before_ you type `C-c C-c'?  If it says "initializing..." then it
might help to wait a bit longer until it says "ready" before typing the first
command.

There are several factors that might make this slow:

1) An executable that was created from a large number of files.
2) Using stabs debug format.
3) Using an old PC.

If this is the problem I can post a patch that might speed things up but
just turning off gud-tooltip-mode might help.

If you still get an error after waiting for "ready":

1) Set gdb-enable-debug to t using M-x set-variable.
2) Do M-x gdb and enter "run" in the GUD buffer to get the error.
4) Post the value of gdb-debug-log (you can use `C-h v') to the list
  (or just to me if it's large).