Re: emacsclient uses obsolete "server" file on Windows

From: Bernardo Bacic
Subject: Re: emacsclient uses obsolete "server" file on Windows
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:42:27 +1000

it was a dark and stormy night when Juanma Barranquero said, On 06/13/2008 04:20 AM:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 20:13, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

On Windows, this can only happen if another instance of Emacs is
launched.  How probable is that?

I don't know. On my computer it is very likely, but I go to pains to
make sure every instance uses a different server-name, so there are no
conflicts.

For Windows users not involved in Emacs development, I'd say it is unlikely.

Haven't closely followed the thread, but in my case there are usually two independent instances of Emacs launched, one for code only, the other for "organisational stuff" - plans, todo lists, calendar, etc. They are launched in separate directories so the corresponding .emacs.desktop files keep track of different settings. Either instance can go in and out of existence although most of the time both are running and because of the slack approach both start the 'server'.

--
Rgds, Bernardo