Re: problem with emacs wiki (was: What alternatives are there to learn E

From: tyler
Subject: Re: problem with emacs wiki (was: What alternatives are there to learn Emacs?...)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 23:39:57 -0300

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> writes:

> Sometimes in 1999 i also read “Learning GNU Emacs” (O'Reilly) by Debra
> Cameron et al.  This book is more practicality oriented (as with most
> commercial tutorials), and it did gave me a good intro.
>
> The book now is out dated though. Last edition, the 2nd ed, published
> in 1996. Since then, emacs has gone to version 20, 21, and 22. Lots of
> features are added, and lots of new computing technologies have become
> important that didn't exist in mid 1990s.

The latest edition is actually the third edition, published in 2004.
It's excellent.

I started with the built-in tutorial, and I agree with Xah's assessment.
It's the best point of entry. Following that, I read the O'Reilly book,
which is very accessible and provides lots of good practical advice.
After working through the most relevant parts of that book, I was
well-enough prepared to make efficient use of the Emacs manual. Again, I
agree with Xah that the manual is well written and comprehensive, but
there are dark corners that need some work.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
Power corrupts. PowerPoint corrupts absolutely.
                                       --Edward Tufte

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/ppt2.html