Re: Dired like functionality on a custom text file

From: reader
Subject: Re: Dired like functionality on a custom text file
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 10:03:49 -0500

Bernardo Bacic <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> writes:

> it was a dark and stormy night when Jesse said, On 05/20/2008 04:38 AM:
>> I have a situation where I have a lot of common files i need to edit
>> but they are all in various directories spread across my hard drive.
>> I was trying to come up with a way where I could make a text file that
>> has all the paths to the files I commonly need and somehow open that
>> file into a dired like mode.

[...]

If I might butt in here a moment:

Bernardo writes:
> could it be that find-file-at-point (M-x ffap) is what you are looking for
> here?

I don't see much of anything happen using that...

First compile a list of files

find dir -type f >dir/file

Now load file into emacs.

With cursor on this line:
dir/new.txt

Pressing M-x ffap shows
Find file or URL: ~/dir/

And that's it.  Completion doesn't go anywhere either.

I thought this was supposed to load the file name.