Re: Using setq to obtain a symbol from a list, so that I can assign a f

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Using setq to obtain a symbol from a list, so that I can assign a function to it
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 10:22:45 -0500

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 19:28:03 -0700 (PDT) srinik001@hotmail.com wrote:

s> So, I am trying to write a tool that will enable me to write specific
s> XML files by prompting me to enter values. Here is how I am trying to
s> do it.

You may want to look at the various templating packages available, in
case one of them does what you want.  Check out skeleton.el in
particular (http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SkeletonMode for some
examples) since any element of the template can itself be a template.
That will probably save you a lot of time.

Anytime you find yourself auto-generating functions you should wonder if
your data structure could be better (sometimes the answer is 'no' :)

Ted