Re: Add functions to C-mode?

From: Richard G Riley
Subject: Re: Add functions to C-mode?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 13:49:57 +0200

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Morning, Saneman
>
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:36:55AM +0200, saneman wrote:
>> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> [ .... ]
>
>> But I still have to select the lines that I want to comment out. If the
>> cursor is on a line the I would like to comment out and I press C-d the
>> // get inserted and the end of the line.
>
>> Only when I select the line and then press C-d it works.
>
>> Is there some way to insert // at the start of the line without first
>> selecting it?
>
> I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean, but I don't think so (other
> than typing the two "/"s yourself, but that's boring).
>
> What exactly do you mean by "selecting" and why do you want to avoid

I would assume he means selecting the text. As one does for cut and
paste. Standard region manipulation.

> this?  Somehow or other, you've got to indicate to Emacs _which_ lines(s)
> you want commented out (even if it's only one line).
>
> "Selecting" isn't really Emacs jargon.  When you drag the mouse over a

Neither is "dragging a mouse" :-;

> buffer, the "mark" is left where you started, and point is put where you
> finish.  The "region" is the bit between point and mark, and many
> commands operate on the region.  There are lots of ways of setting the
> mark, too.  C-<space> is the most basic.

I think it would be fair to say that "selecting the text" is perfectly
clear in this instance.

> So, if you want to comment out lines (like all good programming standards
> forbid, yet everybody does ;-), make the region the pertinent lines.

I must admit to never having heard of this - commenting out is a very
common thing to do during development.

> Then do C-c C-c (`comment-region').  If you later want to undo this, put
> the region round these lines again, then do C-u C-c C-c.

In my set up the command is comment-dwim accessed from "M-;". I guess
this is part of emacs-22?