Re: Add functions to C-mode?

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Add functions to C-mode?
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 10:51:25 +0000

Morning, Saneman

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 09:36:55AM +0200, saneman wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> >On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 01:04:06PM +0200, saneman wrote:
> >>I would like to add/change the comment/uncomment function in the
> >>C-mode for emacs.

> >>Currently it only works when a piece of text is selected and then /* */
> >>is inserted.

[ .... ]

> But I still have to select the lines that I want to comment out. If the
> cursor is on a line the I would like to comment out and I press C-d the
> // get inserted and the end of the line.

> Only when I select the line and then press C-d it works.

> Is there some way to insert // at the start of the line without first
> selecting it?

I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean, but I don't think so (other
than typing the two "/"s yourself, but that's boring).

What exactly do you mean by "selecting" and why do you want to avoid
this?  Somehow or other, you've got to indicate to Emacs _which_ lines(s)
you want commented out (even if it's only one line).

"Selecting" isn't really Emacs jargon.  When you drag the mouse over a
buffer, the "mark" is left where you started, and point is put where you
finish.  The "region" is the bit between point and mark, and many
commands operate on the region.  There are lots of ways of setting the
mark, too.  C-<space> is the most basic.

So, if you want to comment out lines (like all good programming standards
forbid, yet everybody does ;-), make the region the pertinent lines.
Then do C-c C-c (`comment-region').  If you later want to undo this, put
the region round these lines again, then do C-u C-c C-c.

Again, you have to "select" the lines, so I'm not quite sure exactly what
you want.  But the above might be good enough.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).