whitespace-mode fail to show newlines

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: whitespace-mode fail to show newlines
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 19:00:33 +0200

Hello every one,
recently i had to use whitespace.el to check files.
It work fine on one machine (gentoo) and fail to show newlines on the
other (ubuntu on my laptop).
Whitespace show all the content of the file on one line!
When i turn off showing newlines it show my file normally.

I use the same version of emacs on both machines and same config.
(GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1)

But some thing seem missing on ubuntu to show the end of line
characters.

Any idea is welcome!
Thank you.
--