Re: dict in Emacs

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: dict in Emacs
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 01:23:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 7, 8:15 pm, Evans Winner wrote:
«...but I found after looking up a few words that it had left a trail
of over a thousand buffers open...»

btw, you can close all those buffers with a few keystrokes.

if you use emacs 22, type “Alt+x ibuffer” then it'll switch you to a
buffer listing mode. Type “* M”, then whatever your mode's name, then
all those modes will be selected. Then, Type “D” to kill them all.

ibuffer is pretty much a modern version of list-buffer, with coloring
and all. I've been using ibuffer for like 2 or 3 years, and haven't
used list-buffer since.  You can mark and kill a bunch of buffers with
list-buffers though, just more difficult or less powerful.

You could set the same shortcut used for list-buffer for ibuffer, and
set ibuffer as a alias to list-buffer, so that it completely replaces
it.

e.g.

(defalias 'ibuffer 'list-buffer)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-x C-b") 'ibuffer)

How to Define Keyboard Shortcuts in Emacs
 http://xahlee.org/emacs/keyboard_shortcuts.html

  Xah
  xah@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/