Re: Choosing a versioning system

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Choosing a versioning system
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 19:50:56 +0200

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 29, 10:18 pm, Mike Treseler <mike_trese...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> B. T. Raven wrote:
>> > Check out Menu>Tools>Version Control
>>
>> See also:
>>
>> Menu>Tools>Compare
>>
>>      -- Mike Treseler
>
> Out of curiosity I did this and found that the default version control
> system that gets invoked is rcs.
> I wonder if this (default) is the best advice to a noob??
> My impression is that rcs was superseded by cvs by svn by.. well... a
> lot of competition!
> This is a genuine question --- I'm familiar with many versioning
> systems but not too good at any of them.
>
> So what do most emacs-ers use?

RCS is a very good version control system to start.
It can only manage correctly single files and only localy.

The others versions control systems are more complex but have of course
much more features like managing big set of files over remote access.

If you want to manage local files only, RCS is ok.
It is very well integrated with vc (see emacs manuel)

Personnaly, i use now mercurial with dvc, but also svn and for some local
files rcs.

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu