Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Open Outline-mode file in collapsed state
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 13:48:00 -0600

bev <fbe2@comcast.net> writes:

    Yep, a slight variation of your solution works. I now
    have in my .emacs:
    (add-hook 'outline-mode-hook '(lambda () (hide-sublevels 1)))

Forgot to quote it.  Sorry.

    I've never seen that syntax before -- putting a '1'
    after a function that takes no args. Does that just mean
    'make it so'? I don't know why just having
    hide-sublevels without the '1' won't work.

`hide-sublevels' used non-interactively actually does take
one argument[1].  Its interactive definition must give it some
way around that, since used interactively it behaves as if
it were passed the argument `1'.  I am not sure how it works
after a quick glance.

Footnotes:
[1]  The documentation for `hide-sublevels' is:

,----[ C-h f hide-sublevels RET ]

`----