Re: windows setup for emacsclient

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: Re: windows setup for emacsclient
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 10:14:45 -0400

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 16, 10:27 am, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
>> rustom wrote:
>> > What do I have to do to open a file with emacsclient in windows?
>>
>> > Yeah I know one must first start emacs with server-start -- I am
>> > wondering about the more windows-y part. I am, say, in windows
>> > explorer and want to right-click file and choose open in emacsclient.
>> > I can even do it now but I have to literally go hunting after it:
>> > Shift-rt-click -> Open with ->Browse -> Program Files... -> emacs ->
>> > bin -> emacsclientw -> Ok ... -> Ok
>> > ...... every time the same bally-hoo.
>>
>> > Related to this: How to give the -n option? Because otherwise when I
>> > kill that buffer emacs pops a window at me saying the client is still
>> > waiting for the server or some such thing.
>>
>> Go to a msdos prompt and type something like:
>>
>> ftype emacs=c:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"
>>
>> but with your appropriate path (you can call the part before = whatever
>> you want)
>>
>> and then (for example):
>>
>> assoc .txt=emacs
>>
>> Then with regedit make a key
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\emacsclientw.exe\shell\Open\Command
>>
>> with value:
>>
>> c:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"
>>
>> with -a switch you can add an alternate editor. I have seen this set to
>> /path/runemacs.exe  See:
>>
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsClient
>>
>> under emacsclientw for vers. 22
>>
>> Also under shell (i.e)
>>
>> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\emacsclientw.exe\shell
>>
>> I have two names:
>>
>> FriendlyCache
>> FrienllyCacheCTime
>>
>> of types REG_SZ  and REG_BINARY respectively and values
>>
>> GNU Emacs for Windows NT/95/98/2000/ME/XP
>> and
>> 00 46 bf f2 04 c1 c7 01
>>
>> I have no idea what they are or where they came from.
>>
>> You can associate other filetypes with Emacs via assoc in a dos window
>> or else use Tools > Folder Options > File Types in Windows Explorer.
>>
>> Back up the registry before you mess with it. It is intrinsically
>> dangerous to edit it manually. It may be possible to accomplish the
>> above without regedit but I don't know how to do it.
>>
>> Ed
>
> Thanks for the detailed reply.  But still some problems:
> What Ive done is
>
>  ftype emacs=c:\emacs22.1\bin\emacsclientw -n -a c:/emacs22.1\bin
> \emacs "%1"
>
> assoc .txt=emacs
>
> Now when emacs (the server) is already running it works fine.
> But if not:
> 1. A box comes up saying emacsclient ERROR: connect no error
> Ive to click ok to that
> 2. Next a command window opens momentarily
> 3. Finally emacs opens with the file
>
> And the command window remains open

I don't know how to eliminate the dialog that pops up, and I'd also like to
know!

To get rid of the command window, try this:

ftype emacs=c:\emacs22.1\bin\emacsclientw -n -a c:\emacs22.1\bin\runemacs "%1"

Runemacs is a Windows wrapper for emacs that does away with the command window.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)