Re: windows setup for emacsclient

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: windows setup for emacsclient
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 23:27:18 -0600

rustom wrote:
What do I have to do to open a file with emacsclient in windows?

Yeah I know one must first start emacs with server-start -- I am
wondering about the more windows-y part. I am, say, in windows
explorer and want to right-click file and choose open in emacsclient.
I can even do it now but I have to literally go hunting after it:
Shift-rt-click -> Open with ->Browse -> Program Files... -> emacs ->
bin -> emacsclientw -> Ok ... -> Ok
...... every time the same bally-hoo.

Related to this: How to give the -n option? Because otherwise when I
kill that buffer emacs pops a window at me saying the client is still
waiting for the server or some such thing.

Go to a msdos prompt and type something like:

ftype emacs=c:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"

but with your appropriate path (you can call the part before = whatever you want)

and then (for example):

assoc .txt=emacs

Then with regedit make a key

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\emacsclientw.exe\shell\Open\Command

with value:

c:\emacs\bin\emacsclientw.exe -n "%1"

with -a switch you can add an alternate editor. I have seen this set to /path/runemacs.exe See:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsClient

under emacsclientw for vers. 22

Also under shell (i.e)

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\emacsclientw.exe\shell

I have two names:

FriendlyCache
FrienllyCacheCTime

of types REG_SZ  and REG_BINARY respectively and values

GNU Emacs for Windows NT/95/98/2000/ME/XP
and
00 46 bf f2 04 c1 c7 01

I have no idea what they are or where they came from.

You can associate other filetypes with Emacs via assoc in a dos window or else use Tools > Folder Options > File Types in Windows Explorer.

Back up the registry before you mess with it. It is intrinsically dangerous to edit it manually. It may be possible to accomplish the above without regedit but I don't know how to do it.

Ed