Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: File name completion on Mac OS X with German umlauts
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 16:22:02 +0100

Markus <mnissl@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using a German Mac OS X 10.5.2. I wanted to open a file called
> "rückerstattung.txt". So I typed C-x C-f rü <tab> ... but it didn't work. I
> thought this was a bug in Aquamacs, but then I tried to do the same with that
> console emacs which is bundled with Mac OS X 10.5. Same issue.

The reason is simple.  OSX uses a less common formatting for umlauts.
Instead of the code for the character ü it represents it as two
characters, one for u and one for the dots.  (Yes, that is still valid
Unicode.)

In fact, if you type "ru", Emacs and Bash will both offer rückerstattung as a
completion.

That being said, I don't know any solution.  I thought utf8-m.el would
fix it, but I must have been mistaken.  It's one of the cases where
UTF-8 isn't backwards compatible with ASCII when comparing strings, so
the fix is non-trivial.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher