colour highlighting problem on major modes

From: Yo Sato
Subject: colour highlighting problem on major modes
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:00:11 +0000

Hi all,

I recently switched to a different distribution of linux (FC6) and
installed emacs (ver 21.4) and encounter this problem: the colour
coding doesn't work (all black and white) for most major modes,
inlcuding TeX, lisp, html, etc. I say 'most' because there is one mode
that somehow works: the prolog major mode *installed in my home
directory* (not bit-compiled). This mode (prolog.el) is the only file
loaded from the home dir by .emacs.

With other machines with different distributions, with the same .emacs
file, it is working okay. The other functionalities of the above major
modes, as far as I can see, seem to be working okay.

What could I be missing? Any help would be appreciated: I might well
be rather cursory in the above description, being not sure what more
info I should provide, which I'd be happy to provide of course.

Regards,
Yo