TAB key to insert tab character

From: Blake McBride
Subject: TAB key to insert tab character
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 17:36:52 -0600

Greetings,

I have the TAB key doing exactly what I want when editing C or Lisp programs but I can't get it to do what I want in TEXT or FUNDAMENTAL modes. I did try to get rid of my .gnu-emacs-custom file temporarily to verify that none of my other customizations were causing the problem.

What is happening is that when I hit the TAB key it inserts a number of spaces to line the cursor up with the second word of the previous sentence. What I want (in TEXT & FUNDAMENTAL modes) is for the TAB key to just add a TAB. Not an equivalent number of spaces for a TAB or to line it up with the previous line's second word - just add a single TAB character.

Thanks.

Blake McBride