Re: mouse-less emacs

From: Vyazovoi Pavel
Subject: Re: mouse-less emacs
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:36:50 +0500

sahteaccount@gmail.com writes:

> I am a fairly new linux and emacs user. When I was using a text editor
> under windows, I rarely used the mouse. I used ctrl+shift+arrow keys
> to select text and ctrl+c and ctrl+v to do copy paste stuff.
>
> So far in linux (and emacs) whenever I need to copy/paste something, I
> highlight the text with mouse and then middle-click the mouse to paste
> it. What would be the shortcuts to do same things in emacs with
> keyboard? Especially equivalent of ctrl+shift+arrow key in emacs?
>
> Also ctrl+c and ctrl+v are conveniently located on the keyboard. To my
> despair ctrl+c has a different meaning (kill!) for linux.
>
> Finally... Undo is simply ctrl+z in windows, while linux uses that
> combination to suspend the process. Emacs's ctrl+_ is difficult
> because
> 1)  those key are not close to each other
> 2) I don't have an explicit _ key. It is 'shift' of +. So I need to
> ctrl+shift+ + which is obviously harder.
>
> Please help this poor soul in his transition to Linux and emacs
>
> Thanks all

Emacs is mouseless operating system.
C-h i, C-h t - embedded help system.
Brief: C-spc, C-spc-spc for setting mark and selecting text, M-w for
copying, C-w for cutting, C-y for inserting. And many many more in help
system. I recommend to swap Ctrl with CapsLock for easy use emacs keybindings.
For example - write this simple macro to your .emacs and select word
under cursor with M-@:

(fset 'mark-whole-word
   [C-right ?\C-  ?\C-  C-left])
(global-set-key (kbd "M-@") 'mark-whole-word)