Re: using variable names as args to interactive functions

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: Re: using variable names as args to interactive functions
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 09:40:39 +0100

Stuart <stuart.tett@gmail.com> writes:

> I have some variables which I set at startup with setq. There are a
> bunch of variables that get set. Each is a string representing a
> directory path. I want a function which I can just type the variable
> name and it opens dired with that directory.

Just in case you did not know about it, have you looked at Emacs'
bookmark facility? It saves "places" under names you define and you can
easily jump to them later. Directories are supported.

The only thing I am missing from them is that you cannot use them (I
think) in `find-file'. I often do C-x C-f only to remember that I have a
bookmark for what I was going to find. And even if I do remember that I
have a bookmark there are times when other command asks me for a
directory or file and where using a bookmark would have been
useful. Anyone know a solution to this?