Re: jump between if-fi

From: reader
Subject: Re: jump between if-fi
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 20:29:28 -0600

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

> Hi, Reader!

[...]

> This is a moderately difficult exercise in Elisp programming.  I would
> suggest something like this:

He-he... whats moderate for you appears to be clear over the top for me.

[...] snipped a very nice outline of how to go at it.

> When you've got it working, please submit it to Emacs for inclusion in
> Emacs 23!  Best of luck!

Yes that would be very nice but is also very unlikely.  My skill level
would have to be improved several hundred percentage points in a
pretty short while.

I guess not too many emacs developers really do much shell scripting.
Probably using a lot more high level scripting languages (perl, lisp,
python and etc).  I run into portability problems more with shell
scripts since something like perl is the same everywhere.

My perl is coming along well enough to use it for all scripting but I
still have many older shell scripts I'd hate to have to convert.

On a slightly different subject... if I may torture the threading
rules a little:
  Speaking of portability... I'd like to get my emacs init files to be
  more portable from one machine to the next but one I'm dealing with
  now has different keyboard responses than most of the others and
  requires differnt keybindings for delete-backward-char and a few
  other things.

  I'd like to include those in .emacs but don't know how to separate
  them off by making them depend on which host emacs is running on.

  Can you give me a push in that direction?

  How to access the env variable HOSTNAME or slurp the results of the
  hostname shell command and make the keybindings dependant on the
  results.

  I've seen examples of something similar where the code tests if its
  fsf emacs or Xemacs as a condition.