CVS-Emacs not reading bash environments?

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: CVS-Emacs not reading bash environments?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 20:49:16 +0100

Hi

I have a strange problem. I'm running Emacs 23.0.50.1 from CVS
(Debian-Snapshot) on a Debian Etch notebook with KDE.

Somehow Emacs doesn't recognize my default CVS repository (CVSROOT)
which is set in ~/.bashrc.

M-x cvs-update aborts with the message:

Repository: ?????
Module:
Working dir: ~/somedir/

No CVSROOT specified! Please use the `-d' option.

The problem occurs when I start Emacs using an icon or the KDE
Startmenue or via Alt-F2. However, it works alright when I start Emacs
directly from the shell ($ emacs RET) or within the shell ($ emacs -nw
RET).

It's also working perfectly on my other two machines which have the
same setup but run an older Emacs snapshot (22.1.50.1).

How is it possible that Emacs doesn't read environments set in .bashrc
when started in the usual way programs are started in X? And how can I
solve the problem?

Thanks for help

Sven