Re: vim equivalent in emacs %5,50s/serah_term/replace_term/gc

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: vim equivalent in emacs %5,50s/serah_term/replace_term/gc
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:40:15 +0000 (UTC)

In article <87y7cpwujb.fsf@kobe.laptop>,
Giorgos Keramidas  <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 02:33:24 +0000 (UTC), dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs)
>wrote:
>>In article <mailman.3124.1194518944.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>>Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

>>>Activate 'active region highlighting' from Options menu, mark the
>>>region either by dragging with the mouse cursor or with the keyboard
>>>(M-g g 5 RET C-SPC M-g g 50 RET), and then substitute:
>>
>> M-g?  So I did C-h k on M-g, and in a mini-or-whatever buffer at
>> screen bottom, a line saying "set-face: default m-g d, ......".
>>
>> My question: how to grab that doc-line?
>
>M-g is a `command prefix'.  You can see the help of `M-g g' by typing
>`C-h k M-g g'.

(Sorry for the very-late response!)

As you suggested, I (again) do:

C-h k   on  Meta(ie esc)-g(as in grep)

    and I still get that set-face thing in that one-line window-thingie
    down at the very bottom of the screen

    , and that's before I even get a chance to enter that *second*
    g (In M-g g).

What do *you* get when you try it?

And I do your suggested C-x o (which of course I use
all the time) while sitting there at the end of
that set-face line (*in* that bottom-of-screen one-line window),
and the only effect is to erase that set-face line.

I'm using 21.3.2.

>This opens a new buffer/window, and you can switch to
>that window using `C-x o' (one more more times, if necessary), to copy
>text, move around, etc.
>
>If you are using a GUI version of Emacs, point with your favorite
>pointing device and click somewhere in the help buffer.  It will become
>the active buffer, and you can copy text, move around, and so on...

But I'm not in the help buffer!  I'm in that little ephemeral bottom-of-screen,
what, "mini window"?