Re: emacs changed file's own user and file permission

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: emacs changed file's own user and file permission
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 21:37:10 -0700

Xah Lee wrote:
> Unix-like systems (unixes and linuxes) file systems do not record file
> creation date. (this is one of the major fuckup in unixes, and is a
> fact few unix people knew, even senior unix sys admins. (I'm not sure
> what file system linuxes uses now, but is so up to 2004))

Apparently this is a fact that you don't know, either:

http://www.unix.com/showthread.php?p=79750
http://m0j0.wordpress.com/2007/09/17/unix-mtime-vs-ctime/

> The emacs's default behavior is especially bad for Macs, because once
> you edited some file, its file creation timestamp info is effectively
> destroyed (and become the time you saved it) This is devastating for
> those uninitiated. e.g. you started to use emacs, then after a month
> or so, when you one day wanted to know when was a particular file
> created, you realized that it's all gone.

Devastating!

> (this is one of the major damage unixes has done to the computing
> industry)

Uh, ok.  If that's major damage to the computing industry, I'll
take it over the "innovation" of Microsoft -- even Apple had the
good sense to move to Unix.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA