Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows

From: Ben Bullock
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs under Japanese MS Windows
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:18:04 +0900

"Jason Rumney" <jasonrumney@gmail.com> wrote in message 1195035011.109472.275080@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com">news:1195035011.109472.275080@o3g2000hsb.googlegroups.com...

You must have set the same thing up at work. Looking back, your LANG
is set to en_GB.

Well, I haven't made any adjustments to that PC so I'm not sure why.

This is the standard ISO code for British English (Japanese would be
ja_JP). But
Windows doesn't use the standard ISO codes, it uses ENG and JPN
respectively. So we can rule out any Windows settings, and concentrate
on changes made to your environment variables. Look in the System
control panel under Advanced, and see if there is a setting for LANG
in the Environment Variables.

As I've said above, the behaviour is the same on two Japanese Windows PCs. I don't think I've ever even visited the "Control Panel" on the one at work. But, as you said, I found the LANG variable set up in the System / Advanced (it is システムのプロパティ・詳細設定・環境変数) on Japanese Windows) menu. Since I didn't set it up at all, the only thing I can think of is that LANG was set up like that by either GIMP or Inkscape or Firefox, since I have all of these both on the home machine and the work machine, and they all have language settings (all set to something like en_GB). I definitely have never set it up like that myself.

Anyway, I deleted LANG from the menu, and then I commented out the lines in .emacs which set it to shift-jis. Then I tried starting up Emacs again, and found that it seems to open the directories correctly now. I'm very glad that it works, although I'm a bit concerned how LANG got set like that.

Thank you Jason for your assistance and for sticking with the problem long enough to get to a solution.