Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: Re: Emacs on Windows XP -> Cygwin
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:09:38 -0500

I wouldn't recommend that. I am running Windows XP with Cygwin, and
I'm using the XP (w32) version of Emacs and the cygwin tools without
any problems.

The cygwin version of emacs is (AFAIK) an older version. To get
windowing support, you must run the Cygwin xserver.

You might look at an emacs installation that specializes in getting
emacs, cygwin and win32 talking together very nicely. It's the
EmacsW32 project

http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

I would highly recommend you install this version. It's the easiest,
most painless way to get the latest Emacs working under XP.

- Chris

--
     (.   .)