Re: can't get "help"

From: cycjec
Subject: Re: can't get "help"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 17:19:55 GMT

Joel J. Adamson <jadamson@partners.org> wrote:
> "cycjec"<cycjec@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>  this is the emacs that's installed on a FreeBSD system.

> Are you using Emacs in X, on a console, or a terminal emulator?  Which
> version of Emacs (21, 22?)

 I'm trying an older version in X, and a newer one (I think)
 in a shell account.

 The shell account is version 21.3.1

 M-x emacs-version is how to find that out. I looked in the
 FAQ but haven't yet seen it there.  It's in a back post in
 the NG archive.

> Try f1 for help instead of C-h, your terminal may be sending C-h as
> delete.  F1 C-f gets you the FAQ

 Thank you. Thank you!

 This works in the X version.

 I now am perplexed at why
 Meta-V  scrolls up but the Meta-< and Meta-> don't go to
 the file top or end.   (It's actually the Alt-> and Alt-<
 but the Alt-V works just fine)

 I get this msg  "No M-x tags search ... in progress"

 The F1 doesn't do *anything* in the shell account emacs,
 which is the newer one, or I have not quite got the right
 rhythm, or something...   half the time the "M-x emacs-version"
 doesn't show up in the bottom line either.

> (hopefully you understand the above key notation: "C-x" means "hold
> down Control key and press 'x'")

 Yes, I can C-x C-f and move around in a file but reading the
 FAQ or tutorial helps.  (I can do that in the xterm emacs)