Re: Nested Lambda function gives error in common lisp, guile, emacs lisp

From: Don Geddis
Subject: Re: Nested Lambda function gives error in common lisp, guile, emacs lisp but works in scheme. Why?
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:05:23 -0700

William D Clinger <cesura17@yahoo.com> wrote on Sun, 07 Oct 2007:
> By the way, that paper was not subject to normal peer review; it was
> political from the start, and its conclusion that the advantages and
> disadvantages of Lisp-1 and Lisp-2 are comparable was pre-ordained.

Sure, that makes sense.

> That's the real lesson of the Gabriel/Pitman paper cited earlier in this
> thread.  To reach that conclusion, they had to count at least one of the
> arguments against Lisp-2 as an argument in favor of Lisp-2.  I won't spoil
> your fun by explaining this; it's obvious if you read the paper carefully
> with an open mind.

I've read the paper many times, and I'm unable to identify what you're
referring to.  Perhaps I don't have an open mind.  In any case, what argument
"against" Lisp-2 is incorrectly counted as an argument "in favor" of Lisp-2?

        -- Don
Don Geddis                  http://don.geddis.org/               don@geddis.org
If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God
is crying."  And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him
is "Probably because of something you did."  -- Deep Thoughts, by Jack Handey