Re: An easy defun

From: Amy Templeton
Subject: Re: An easy defun
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:53:53 -0400

Sven Bretfeld <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> wrote:
> I want to define a funtion called start-mutt, which does:

> - open an ansi term

> - rename it to *Mutt*

> - start Mutt within the ansi-term

> - if the ansi-term already exists and has Mutt running, switch to that
> buffer

> Can anybody help me?

Perhaps something like this? Substitute the correct path to your mutt in the
second-to-last line.

(defun start-mutt (&optional bg)
  "Start an ansi-term running the mutt mailreader, in a buffer called \"*Mutt*\"
Given an argument (assuming the buffer called \"*Mutt*\" doesn't already exist),
will start in the background"
  (interactive "P")
  (if (get-buffer "*Mutt*")
      (switch-to-buffer "*Mutt*")
    (let ((buf (current-buffer)))
      (ansi-term "/usr/bin/mutt" "Mutt")
      (if bg (switch-to-buffer buf)))))

Some useful information to know in the future:

- Press "C-h f ansi-term" to read the documentation for the function
  ansi-term (or substitute some other function you're curious about), a
  function I had never used previously but which I found out takes two
  arguments:  the program to run and the name of the buffer, to which it
  will pre-pend and append asterices.

- Most of the time you won't use (switch-to-buffer) in elisp programs (see
  its documentation, as above).

- (interactive) can be called with a wide array of arguments; see its
  documentation for more information.

- Consider checking out the Emacs Lisp Intro., which if you're running a
  recent emacs I'm pretty sure should be included.

- Try to go through this code and understand it, one step at a time.

Anyway, I hope that's helpful.

Amy

--
   "The History of every major Galactic Civilization tends to pass through
three distinct and recognizable phases, those of Survival, Inquiry and