Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 11:44:23 -0700

This addition:  (setq disabled-command-function nil)
seemed reasonable.  It isn't quite a complete cover tho:

> The local variables list in configure.in
> contains values that may not be safe (*).
>
> Do you want to apply it?  You can type
> y  -- to apply the local variables list.
> n  -- to ignore the local variables list.
> !  -- to apply the local variables list, and permanently mark these
>       values (*) as safe (in the future, they will be set automatically.)
>
>     mode : autoconf-mode
>     indent-tabs-mode : nil
>     sh-indentation : 2

OK, so I've made it permanent so ``sh-indentation 2''
will no longer be treated with suspicion.  The *NEXT*
suspicious thing will interrupt me again, however.
I think that this:

 '(safe-local-variable-values (quote ((sh-indentation . 2))))

should be *ENTIRELY* disabled, not just the one "sh-indentation"
entry.  I don't exactly know who thinks I need protection from
nefarious things like two-space indentation, but the reason I
had that assignment is because I wanted that assignment in there.

> There was never such a user setting in Emacs.  You always had to
> enable each command individually (unless you are an advanced user and
> know how to set a function to nil without causing damage).

The problem, of course, are the newly added protections with
less-than-obvious ways of telling emacs, "Please stop protecting
me."  In the case above, it is not a disabled command issue.
It is some collection of variable values that someone thought
would be "dangerous".  So, I guess, in the end, I'm asking for
an enhancement:

 (custom-set-variables
    '(protective-mode nil))

and from that day forth, never worry about emacs protecting me
from myself ever again.  :-}  Thank you!  Cheers - Bruce