an inconvenient difference in Emacs 22

From: Steve Newcomb
Subject: an inconvenient difference in Emacs 22
Date: 20 Sep 2007 11:03:02 -0400

In older versions of Emacs,

    C-X C-F ENTER

has always re-read the file associated with the buffer the user was
already in.

In my shiny new Emacs 22, this doesn't happen.  Instead,
what is opened is the directory in which the current buffer's
file lives.  Apparently, one has to type in the name of the
file in order to refresh it from disk:

    C-X C-F (name of file, explicitly typed in) ENTER

This lowers the productivity of telephone-mediated collaborative
editing sessions.  In such sessions, participants need to update the
current file from disk, many, many times -- whenever any other
participant changes it.  To have to type in the file name all over
again, every time somebody changes something, is insupportably
burdensome.

I would urge that this important defaulting behavior be present
by default in Emacs 22, as it has always been.  If that's
not possible for some reason, I would appreciate instructions
on how to restore this behavior in Emacs 22.  Thanks in advance!

-- Steve

Steven R. Newcomb, Consultant
Coolheads Consulting

Co-editor, Topic Maps International Standard (ISO/IEC 13250)
Co-editor, draft Topic Maps -- Reference Model (ISO/IEC 13250-5)

srn@coolheads.com
http://www.coolheads.com

direct: +1 910 363 4032
main:   +1 910 363 4033
fax:    +1 910 454 8461

268 Bonnet Way
Southport, North Carolina 28461 USA

(This communication is not private.  Since the destruction of the 1978
Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act by the U.S. Congress on August
5, 2007, no electronic communications of innocent citizens can be
hidden from the U.S. government.  Shamefully, our own generation,
acting on fears promoted by fraudulently-elected rogues, has allowed
absolute power (codenamed "unitary Executive") to be usurped by those
very same rogues.  Hail Caesar!)