Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 01:55:06 +0300

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 15:07:01 +0300, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> Even if it's obvious that Xaw3d is missing when `configure' says
> something about "-lXaw3d", the name of the Ubuntu package that one
> needs to download is quite clearly NOT obvious.
>
> Now, if `configure' would say something like
>
>   Xaw3d library not found, suggest to download xaw3dg-dev package
>
> _then_ it would have been obvious.
>
> Can we please look at this from the OP's point of view, instead of
> demonstrating how much smarter we-all are?  That way, we might
> actually learn how to improve Emacs, in addition to being nice and
> helpful.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of looking at problems from
the reporter's point of view.  Especially when the reporter has shown
that he is willing to learn more, and do at least _some_ of his homework
(as Dave has done).

As for improving Emacs, it may not be easy to list the package names of
dozens, hundreds of GNU/Linux distributions, or even other OS systems.
I commonly build Emacs on Solaris and BSD systems too, for example, and
`xaw3dg-dev' doesn't really mean anything useful there.  But that's a
very interesting idea to explore a bit :)

- Giorgos