Re: How to watch a variable?

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: How to watch a variable?
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 14:44:21 +0200

+ daniel@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen):

> "Ye Wenbin" <wenbinye@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I found an anony problem. I customize set outline-regexp, but
>> the variable is change when start up. I don't know which part
>> of my .emacs changed the value.
>
> It's often set by major modes. Your default value is then overridden
> locally in those buffers. You can add a hook function to the modes where
> you want your own default value,

Or better yet, use a file local variable.  Then whoever else edits the
same file gets the same outline-regexp, provided they use emacs of
course.  To learn more:

  C-h i g (emacs)File Variables RET

Personally, for reasons of interoperability I think it's a mistake to
set your own personal default for variables of this type.

  -- Bertrand Russell