Re: cperl-mode

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: cperl-mode
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 08:23:56 +0000 (UTC)

Tim X
<timx@nospam.dev.null>], who wrote in article
<87tzqfatlh.fsf@lion.rapttech.com.au>:
> Interesting regarding your reference to reports that cperl-mode is almost
> unusable under emacs 22.

Of course, "usability" is a relative notion.  Some people would even
use perl-mode...

What I'm refering to is that CPerl happens to fontify "about 99%" of
constructs correct; which means that if see something
fishily-fontified, the probability that you mistyped something is much
higher than the probability that it is a CPerl's misunderstanding.  In
short, "you can rely on fontification as on early-warning system".
(Of course, the exact proportion depends on the style of programming;
and whether you decide to rely on it or not is a personal choice...)

With 22.1, I get reports that something as simple as s(a)(b) is not
correctly fontified.  This makes me worry a lot...

Hope this helps,
Ilya