Re: How to search all open buffers?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: How to search all open buffers?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 11:40:35 +0300

> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> From: Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 00:12:48 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> From: kj <socyl@987jk.com.invalid>
> >> Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 16:46:27 +0000 (UTC)
> >>
> >> I run into this *all* the time: I've been coding for several days,
> >> working on 20-30 files simultaneously, and I need to get back to
> >> the one among these many buffers that contains a particular string
> >> or regex.
> >
> > Then just search the files for that regex, e.g. with the Dired's `A'
> > command.  Emacs will notice when a particular file is already in a
> > buffer and will search that buffer instead.
>
> But the A (dired-do-search) key seems to work only for the files which
> are present in the current Dired buffer not necessarily for all opened
> buffers.

I'm assuming that the OP is working on some project, since he said
that he wanted to find some function or variable in one of the
buffers.  Presumably, those buffers all visit files that belong to
some project, and if so, they all live in a single directory, or in a
single tree under the same parent directory.  Thus `A' is appropriate.