Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs

From: Bill Clementson
Subject: Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 14:43:41 -0700

Hi Peter,

> Am 27.08.2007 um 18:07 schrieb Bill Clementson:
>
>> Also, I suggested using C-n and C-p to scroll the image. You changed
>> the bindings of C-v and M-v to scroll the image and added C-n and M-p
>> to do next/previous page. I think my suggested bindings are closer to
>> what people would expect (e.g. - C-v would move to the next page while
>> C-n would move down in the current page). In any case, if you decide
>> to keep the existing bindings, you should probably at least change M-p
>> to C-p.
>
> This does not look right. The well-known scroll-up and scroll-down
> move an object in a window. A window is a view to some object. With
> doc-view the object is the PNG representation of a page in PDF.
> Scroll-up and scroll-down move the view over the picture. Some next-
> or previous-thingy is right for changing the object in the view – or
> turning the page.

I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with me or Tassilo.

My suggested bindings were:
C-n/C-p = scroll image
C-v/M-v = scroll to next/previous PDF page

Tassilo's bindings are:
C-n/M-p = scroll to next/previous PDF page
C-v/M-v = scroll image

I can see that Tassilo might want to keep his bindings as he also has
the characters "n" and "p" bound to the "next/previous PDF page"
functions; however, I think that (if he keeps the existing bindings)
the "M-p" binding should be changed to "C-p".

- Bill