Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs

From: Martin Rubey
Subject: Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs
Date: 26 Aug 2007 15:49:50 +0200

Dear all,

I saw doc-view.el this week and was hoping that it would be the thing I was
looking for since years.  Well, unfortunately, it doesn't *quite* do what I
want: I'd really like to have a (reasonably fast,) full-featured dvi/ps/pdf
viewer that I can control from within emacs.

In particular, I'd like to be able to search and copy text as in kdvi / kpdf.
Furthermore, rendering should be fast, so that modifying the LaTeX and pressing
C-c C-c Ret should update the buffer quickly.

I wonder why this is appears so difficult to achieve.  Wouldn't it be possible
to have an X application running inside an emacs buffer?  The standard
application for me would be to have my LaTeX source in one buffer, kdvi in
another, and C-x b gets me to that buffer.  Using the window-managers
keybinding for switching to another application really does only half the job,
it's just not "as nice"...

I saw the xwem project a while ago, but it looks roughly dead, does more than I
need and moreover it doesn't work for gnu emacs...

Well, still, doc-view is quite nice,

Martin