Re: Emacs not receiving C-M-right from keyboard

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs not receiving C-M-right from keyboard
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 15:39:57 +1000

>> > I have a new Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I have everything,
>> > including Emacs, installed identically to the way I had it
>> > on my old machine. However, the key sequences `C-M-right',
>> > `C-M-left', `C-M-up', and `C-M-down' are apparently not
>> > being sent to Emacs from the keyboard of the new machine.
>> >
>> > In emacs -Q (it doesn't matter which Emacs version), `C-h k'
>> > followed by using `C-M-right' still waits for me to hit a
>> > key - the `C-M-right' is not seen by Emacs at all. Opening
>> > a dribble file shows the same thing:
>> > `C-M-right' key sequences are not recorded.
>> >
>> > I've looked through the Emacs doc. I've tried to google for
>> > something about this, but I haven't found anything. Anyone
>> > know what's going on and how to fix it? Thanks.
>>
>> Are you running under X? If so, what window manager are you using?
>
> No, I'm on MS Windows - a native Emacs build. I do have Cygwin installed
> also, but the Emacs I use is not a Cygwin Emacs.
>
>> I'm wondering if it is either a modmap issue or if your window manager
>> might be stealing the keys and not passing them on to emacs. If your
>> running under X, are you running from within an XTerm or 'native' X
>> Toolkit/GTK? as I've seen xterms have similar issues as well.
>>
>> The fact the keystrokes are not showing up in a dribble file
>> makes me think they are not getting passed to emacs at all and
>> therefore the problem isn't actually emacs.
>
> I agree; the problem is not Emacs. I just don't know how to find the problem
> (and solution). (The same Emacs builds (20, 22) work fine on the old laptop,
> which is supposedly almost identical, so Emacs is not the culprit.) I'm
> hoping someone here might have run into this or otherwise has an idea.

The only thing I can suggest is possibly doing a registry compare. Not
bbing much of a windows user, I can't be more specific. However, I do seem
to remember seeing something about registry tweaks and emacs. Is it
possible you made a registry change on the old laptop and have forgotten
about it?

also, just wondering if the following (taken from the Emacs Problems file)
might be relevant?

** On MS-Windows, you cannot use the right-hand ALT key and the left-hand
CTRL key together to type a Control-Meta character.

This is a consequence of a misfeature beyond Emacs's control.

Under Windows, the AltGr key on international keyboards generates key
events with the modifiers Right-Alt and Left-Ctrl.  Since Emacs cannot
distinguish AltGr from an explicit Right-Alt and Left-Ctrl
combination, whenever it sees Right-Alt and Left-Ctrl it assumes that
AltGr has been pressed.  The variable `w32-recognize-altgr' can be set
to nil to tell Emacs that AltGr is really Ctrl and Alt.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au