Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Possible to read pdf files in emacs?
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:47:01 +1000

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> desktop <asdfsf@asd.com> writes:
>
>> I am not very satisfied with using acroread 7 to view my pdf files. Is
>> there some way to use emacs to view pdf files instead? Could be nice
>> to have multiple buffers of the same file and be able to make
>> bookmarks at certain lines.
>
> It depends on what you mean by "read."  Try opening a PDF as text and
> see what you get.
>
> What operating system are you using?  I use either KPDF or Xpdf to
> read pdf documents on Linux.  Both are very nice.  I open them from
> dired using "M-!"
>
> There are other pdf readers available for Linux --- and many for
> Windows and Mac OS X.

I just reposted my txutils.el code to comp.emacs.sources. This mode allows
conversion of various file types (pdf, ps, doc etc) to text or html and
displays them in an emacs buffer as text.

I use it by advising the view-file function so that if you do a 'v' on one
of the supported file types (based on extension), it will convert the file
to text or html (dependinig on the underlying converter) and then
display. If the file is an HTML file, it uses browse-url to render and
display.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au