RE: mthesaur v synonyms

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: mthesaur v synonyms
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 11:02:02 -0700

> > at point, into the minibuffer as your input. Edit it if you like, before
> > hitting RET.
> >
> > If you also use Icicles, and you want the default value to _always_ be
> > inserted in the minibuffer as the initial input, then customize
> > `icicle-init-value-flag' to `insert'. I personally prefer that
> > behavior, but I think most people do not.
>
> Any command which replies on word-at-point should default it IMO.

Not sure what you mean.

> I have now got icicles ( cant say I like it at first attempt -
> there's a lot there :)) and set the flag as above and its much
> better. Although if something is pre-selected then typing should
> erase it, not append to it. That would be a nice fix.

Use `delete-selection-mode' to type over selected text (region).

To automatically have the initial value be preselected in the minibuffer,
use `preselect-start' or `preselect-end' as the value of
`icicle-init-value-flag', depending on where you want the cursor to be.

I use `insert' as the value, because I don't want the initial input
preselected. I generally edit it only slightly - I don't want to replace it
entirely.

> Do you know if I can stop f5 being bound by icicles by normal
> customization?

(define-key icicle-mode-map [f5] 'whatever-you-want)

Put that on `icicle-mode-hook' if you want.

Or, if you also do not want other top-level commands rebound by Icicles,
customize option `icicle-bind-top-level-commands-flag' to nil.

HTH