Re: Emacs + python

From: Hadron
Subject: Re: Emacs + python
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:49:32 +0200

kaichi <kai.kunze@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 1, 4:37 pm, Hadron <hadronqu...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Could anyone put me on the right track to developing Python with emacs
>> please : modes to consider, debugging etc hopefully all within emacs.
>>
>> Any help and shared experiences much appreciated.
>
> I personally like ipython a lot ( http://ipython.scipy.org/). It has
> several improvements to the python shell (most important persistent
> command history).
> There is a emacs mode relying on python-mode.el here
> http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython.el
>
> For debugging you can simply use the python debugger:
> M-x pdb

I am running Ubuntu emacs-snapshot. I stopped using v23 with its
anti-aliased font back end because it didn't work with German character
set for some reason.

GNU Emacs 22.0.91.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.10.6) of
2006-12-20 on rothera, modified by Debian

For some reason the python debugger doesn't work using the stick
python-mode.. When I debug a file, the debugger appears but is already
"running" but stuck in some sort of loop. In addition, python-mode
doesnt include the debugger in the menu for some reason while python.el
does.

I followed the instructions for using python.el but unfortunately its
the usual too many cooks situation with various versions knocking around
and while with python.el the debugger is in the menu, I can't evaluate
the buffer as it returns with some sort of "wrong type" error - I guess
some sort of version dependency.

I would be interested to hear from anyone using python.el why they are
using it and also for any advice on what I should be using - it seems
that python-mode.el and python.el are stepping on each others toes a
little bit and various versions of emacs use different things.

Advice?