Re: a beginner's emacs troubles

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: a beginner's emacs troubles
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:18:53 -0000

On Jul 30, 7:10 am, Tyler Smith <tyler.sm...@mail.mcgill.ca> wrote:
> > I have (setq scroll-step 1) in my .emacs.
>
> And if you read back over the documentation you've just quoted, you'll
> see that you should probably also have something like
>
> (scroll-conservatively 50)
>
> in your .emacs as well, if you want to scroll one line at a time ;)
>
> Tyler

Thanks for the replies! I've added following to my .emacs and it's
working just fine!

(setq scroll-step 1)
(setq scroll-conservatively 50)

> I'm not sure how basic of a question you're asking.
>
> I'm wondering if you're typing in the scratch buffer. You'll need to
> switch to a text or programming mode that fits what you're trying to
> do.
>
> Need a little more information to be of help.
>
> --Rod

Ups. I'm sorry, it was indeed scratch buffer. I can type tabs freely
in text mode, but not in C mode. What happens in C mode is really
weird. I type the following line:

int main()

I move the cursor on a character in this line, then press tab, and...
nothing happens.

By the way, I've solved the auto-indent problem by adding this to
my .emacs

(global-set-key (kbd "\r")  'newline-and-indent)