Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:25:34 +0200

Am 24.07.2007 um 14:30 schrieb Pascal Bourguignon:

emacs is a programming language with a library for textual user interfaces.

Asking for a localization of emacs is the same as asking for a
localization of C++.  Where do you start, and where do you stop???

Yes, that's another item: a function or variable name in English describes itself to most GNU Emacs users. I often wonder whether I should use English or German names for variables or macros in LaTeX, Shell, or Perl. When I am sure that the source won't reach the Internet, then German is fine.

And now imagine the function or variable names are also written in Japanese, Korean, Chinese, Arabic, Indic, Cyrillic letters ...

Anyway, I think and feel an "official" interface for Unicode enabled localisation of menus and their entries and of messages in *Messages* buffer and/or echo area is needed. There is no need to let the nice Latin script dominate the whole world.

--
Greetings

  Pete

’Twas a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy
 to thank her for it.         — W.C. Fields