Re: Emacs localization (Re: Why emacs have not native language menu)

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Emacs localization (Re: Why emacs have not native language menu)
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:10:13 +0900

On 24 juil. 07, at 20:35, Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:

Emacs is very old and was never designed for localization.  Of course,
localization support can be added in principle, but it's probably not
a small job.  Neither is it medium sized, if you get my drift.

Of course. But there is a tutorial, there are manuals there is a basic core GUI. That makes a set of a relatively limited scope, and as far as I know most of the "external" data already has translation.

So I think the actual scope of the work is actually much smaller than most people imagine. And _because_ emacs is extensible it is actually possible to consider each major part included in a release as one localization project of its own.

In the end, it is really a matter of finding a system and about asking developers to stick to that system, just like they do when they write documentation for their code.

I expect the problem is an order of magnitude larger with emacs:  If
you include all the contributed elisp code, the number of strings that
would need localization and translation is absolutely huge.

I think you underestimate the will of localizers. If there is a system available for localizers who may not have the coding power to actually create that system, they'll flock in and organize localization/translation/proofreading/delivery themselves.

I don't say it can't be done, but it is very unlikely to happen unless
a group of dedicated and well qualified individuals are willing and
able to donate a substantial amount of time to the project.

Did I hear you volunteer?  Good luck!

I would if a reasonably simple system exist. I am a translator by trade, not a coder.

Jean-Christophe Helary