Re: where does Alt become Meta?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: where does Alt become Meta?
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 11:46:16 +0300

> From: Will Parsons <oudeis@nodomain.invalid>
> Date: 20 Jul 2007 21:06:00 GMT
>
> I use Emacs on a variety of systems and circumstances, and on just about
> all of them I'm used to using the Alt key as Meta, so I was surprised
> recently to find that in an Emacs session running on FreeBSD, but accessed
> on a Windows system via TightVNC, A-q was unbound.

I think you might be confusing two different issues: Emacs does
recognize an Alt prefix, and it is different from the Meta prefix.
A-q is always unbound in Emacs by default.

> Where does Emacs map Alt combinations to Meta combinations?

Nowhere.  This is done outside Emacs's keymaps.  In your case, you
should set up TightVNC to send the Meta modifier when you press the
Alt key.