RE: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:09:44 -0700

> > IIUC, savehist-load and savehist-mode do the same thing. savehist-mode
> > replaces savehist-load, which is now obsolete. If your version of
> > savehist.el defines savehist-mode, then you should not need to use
> > savehist-load.
> >
> > Second, you should turn on the mode by using the mode function
> > (command),
> > `savehist-mode', not by setting the mode variable, `savehist-mode'....
> >
> > FYI, I do (only) this, in my _emacs:
> >
> > (require 'savehist)
> > (savehist-mode 1)
>
> OK, I've pared my manual additions to .emacs relevant to savehist to:
>
>    (require 'savehist)
>    (setq savehist-file "~/.emacs.d/history")
>
> So should I delete is the following part of .emacs, which was
> automatically inserted when I was doing configuration by pressing some
> buttons:
>
>   (custom-set-variables
>    ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
>    ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>    ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>    ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>   '(savehist-mode t nil (savehist)))

Did you try it? It's hard for us to know if you're still having a problem or
not.

I'm no expert on this, but I think that the custom-set-variables should
still be OK. However, it's not clear to me that you won't still need to call
(savehist-mode 1). That custom-set-variables sets the mode variable, and
sometimes that is sufficient to turn on a mode, but sometimes it is not.

Things might also depend on which version of savehist.el and which version
of Emacs you use. As I said, I just require the library and call the mode -
I didn't customize anything.

I'd say, try it and see if it works. If not, try contacting the savehist.el
author or filing an Emacs bug (if the savehist version you have is included
with Emacs).