ange-FTP and Windows NT servers

From: Sebastian P. Luque
Subject: ange-FTP and Windows NT servers
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 12:23:20 -0500

Hi,

Trying to access the following Windows NT ftp server through
tramp/ange-FTP fails:

/anonymous@win-builder.r-project.org:/

http://win-builder.r-project.org has a brief explanation for connecting,
which says we should connect with passive ftp in binary mode (I don't
understand what this means).  The following appears in *Messages*:

Listing /anonymous@win-builder.r-project.org:/...done
Doing CD... [44 times]
 nonexistent.

and I can't get any further with debug-on-error set to t.  I can interact
with that directory from a browser (konqueror) at
ftp://win-builder.r-project.org without problems.  I'm told that the
problem seems to be that ange-FTP doesn't understand Windows NT directory
listing format.  Logging in from the shell gives:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
$ ftp win-builder.r-project.org
Connected to win-builder.r-project.org.
220-Microsoft FTP Service
220 Welcome on CRANwinGuest
Name (win-builder.r-project.org:sluque): anonymous
331 Anonymous access allowed, send identity (e-mail name) as password.
Password:
230-Before uploading source packages to R-release, R-patched or R-devel, please
read
    http://129.217.207.166/index.htm
    Disclaimer
    * You are using this service on your own risk!
    * We do not guarantee privacy of the uploaded
    files or data in any way: Names of uploaded
    packages are always listable by everybody.
    After the compilation process we try to hide
    the binary package as well as the logs using
    randomly chosen directory names.
    Nevertheless, everybody who knows or guesses
    those names can download the.
    * Although virus checking is performed on the
    compiled binary packages, we do not guarantee
    that files made available for download are
    free of malware (such as viruses or trojans).
    * The results of R CMD check are returned from
    a particular given system with a particular
    setup and might not be reproducible on other
    systems. Hence we do not guarantee for the
    results of R CMD check.
230 Anonymous user logged in.
Remote system type is Windows_NT.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
04-16-07  03:41PM       <DIR>          R-devel
12-22-06  11:21AM                  869 ReadMe.txt
07-02-07  08:18PM       <DIR>          R-release
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye from CRANwinGuest

Hopefully someone with experience on ange-FTP can provide some suggestions
as to what may be going on.  Thanks.

Cheers,

--
Seb