Re: Unloading modes (php-mode, sgml-mode, etc)

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Unloading modes (php-mode, sgml-mode, etc)
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 08:52:11 +0200

kevfinn@gmail.com writes:

Hi,

> I simply cannot find in the documentation how to unload those pesky
> mode libraries that the default emacs install seems to like to load on
> me: php-mode, sgml-mode, etc. Any ideas on what to put in my .emacs
> file to unload those things? Thanks.

Normally emacs loads libraries not before they're needed, e.g. you open
a php file.

So if emacs really loads those libs at startup it seems there're some
explicit requires in your `user-init-file' or in the `site-run-file'
your distribution provides.

To unload a lib use `unload-feature'.

,----[ C-h v user-init-file RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h v site-run-file RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h f unload-feature RET ]
| unload-feature is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `loadhist.el'.
| (unload-feature FEATURE &optional FORCE)
|
| Unload the library that provided FEATURE, restoring all its autoloads.
| If the feature is required by any other loaded code, and prefix arg FORCE
| is nil, raise an error.
|
| This function tries to undo modifications made by the package to
| hooks.  Packages may define a hook FEATURE-unload-hook that is called
| instead of the normal heuristics for doing this.  Such a hook should
| undo all the relevant global state changes that may have been made by
| the package's feature list (before anything is unbound) in the
| variable `unload-hook-features-list' and could remove features from it
| in the event that the package has done something normally-ill-advised,
| such as redefining an Emacs function.
`----

Bye,
Tassilo
--
      "DRM manages rights in the same way a jail manages freedom"