Re: Emacs 21 or snapshot?

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 or snapshot?
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 06:25:21 +0300

On 12 May 2007 18:51:24 GMT, wbp@nodomain.invalid (Will Parsons) wrote:
>Maciej Katafiasz wrote:
>>Den Sat, 12 May 2007 08:31:25 +0200 skrev Xavier Maillard:
>>> If I was not coding modes/packages for GNU Emacs, I would have
>>> probably sticked to GNU Emacs 21.x, for sure.
>>
>> Using Emacs 21.x now is simply silly. With 22 being almost there, it's as
>> much, or more stable than 21.x, and it has *tons* of overall improvements,
>
> So, you didn't see my response to another post in this thread,
> mentioning that I'm having problems editing remote files with the
> current Emacs 22 on Windows?  No doubt there is a solution a solution
> to this, but no, using Emacs 21 is *not* "simply silly".  Apart from
> that, Emacs 21 is still the version I get with two other systems I
> regularly work on - FreeBSD and Debian GNU/Linux.  (Debian Etch - just
> recently sanctioned as the new "stable" Debian - of course comes with
> the "stable" version of Emacs - version 21.)

FWIW, FreeBSD now includes an editors/emacs-devel port with the most
recent pretest tarball of Emacs 22.

I'm trying to test many of the packages I regularly use, but I can't
install *all* the Emacs extras on my laptop, so if you find the time to
test the editors/emacs-devel port, please do test it.

If there are problems with the FreeBSD Ports version of Emacs 22, please
report them.  Your comments, bug reports, suggestions and any help you
can give with the integration of Emacs 22 into FreeBSD are going to be
invaluable in making sure that the package/port reaches a stable state.
This way, when Emacs 22 becomes the officially released version of GNU
Emacs, we will be in a good shape for making the current
editors/emacs-devel port the _default_ Emacs port on FreeBSD too :)

- Giorgos