Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)

From: JussiJ
Subject: Re: VHDL and Emacs (My experience)
Date: 9 May 2007 19:00:43 -0700

mans (myname_here) wrote:

> Over all it is very good if you can use it (I could not!)

You could try the Zeus for Windows IDE:

   http://www.zeusedit.com
   NOTE: Zeus is shareware.

It should be easy enough to configure Zeus for VHDL.

FWIW the next Zeus release will come with better configuration
for VHDL and will also add code folding for the VHDL language.

> Problems that I had:
>
> 1-  Its keyboard shortcuts are not windows based. I tried
>     to configure wmacsw32 without any success.

The Zeus keyboard is Windows aware and is also fully configurable.

> 2- It is very slow to start ( I didn't use emacs clinets)

Generally Zeus will load in less than a second.

> 3-  I read that you can see a hierarchy of your VHDL code, but I
> can not turn it on (I don't know how to turn it on!).

Zeus provides code hierarchy via the information provided by
the ctags utility.

I am not sure if ctags supports VHDL, but if it does this information
should apear in the class panel of the navigator.

Cheers Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows IDE