Re: Emacs Calc: converting FROM Unix Time, unrecognized time zone

From: Alan
Subject: Re: Emacs Calc: converting FROM Unix Time, unrecognized time zone
Date: 4 May 2007 07:30:21 -0700

On May 4, 3:27 am, Jay Belanger <jay.p.belan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If the items are already grabbed, then it looks like `V M t U' is what
> you want.

It worked!  Ha!

I would like to be able to extract only decimal hours from the date
string
 "2007-05-05 14:30".  Is this possible?  I can easily do it by
grabbing
the minutes form and dividing by 60 in calc.   Of course, a more
direct
approach would be helpful.

I might offer that calc seems to have improved a great deal over the
past
12 or 13 years.   Also, the computer I am using is far and away faster
and more
powerful.

I am now struggling with how to set the time zone variable.  I guess I
can
use Sydney time, or GMT-10?

The calc manual says:
    "f your system does not have a suitable `date' command, you may
wish to put a `(setq var-TimeZone ...)' in your       Emacs
initialization file to set the time"

This variable is undocumented in emacs 23.0.0 (Gentoo GNU/Linux).

Thank you for the rapid response!

Alan Davis