Re: Emacs 21 or snapshot?

From: Tom Rauchenwald
Subject: Re: Emacs 21 or snapshot?
Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 20:21:12 +0200

Mark Woodward <markonlinux@internode.on.net> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> As someone wishing to learn Emacs would you recommend I install Emacs 21
> or Emacs-snapshot?

I would recommend the snapshot package, I have never had any problems
with it. Plus, the gtk-Interface is prettier. (fetch
emacs-snapshot-gtk to use it).

I do not know how up-to-date the package is in Ubuntu, so having a
look at the Bugs filed against it might be a good idea.

> I'm using Ubuntu 7.04 and noticed some packages state emacs21 as a
> dependency. So not sure if that means they're not compatible with the
> snapshot version.

What packages are this? I'm on Debian, I haven't seen such a package
so far.
BTW., you can install and use both versions without problems. Which
one is used as default can then be configured via update-alternatives

Tom